There are various types of home insurance, each one just as important as the last. As a homeowner, it’s pretty safe to assume that you already have contents and buildings insurance. However, if you are going to leave your house unoccupied for any period of time, a policy you should definitely consider investing in, is unoccupied property insurance.

Whatever the level of coverage you may already have when it comes to home insurance, it is not very likely that your existing policy will cover you if your home is left unoccupied for long periods of time. So, whether your job requires you to be away from home for months at a time, or you are just going on holiday for a week or two, unoccupied property insurance is a very wise investment.

What does unoccupied property insurance cover?

If you take out an unoccupied property insurance policy, you will be covering yourself from a wide range of potential scenarios occurring while you are away. Your policy will insure you against everything from fire and flooding, to theft.

Your policy will also cover you for external damages to the property, such as storms damaging the roof or structure.

It’s important to bear in mind that, because the majority of homes are not unoccupied forever, insurers won’t make you purchase a full 12-month policy, like normal home insurance. Most unoccupied property insurance policies can be arranged for set periods of three, six, nine or 12 months, depending on your circumstances and requirements. If you need to, you can also extend your policy; this may be required if you are selling your home and it takes longer than you initially thought.

What is my policy based upon?

When you take out an unoccupied property insurance policy, the cost of your coverage will be dependent on a variety of factors. This will include: where the house is located, how secure the property is, the reason as to why the home is unoccupied, the term of the policy and the value of the property.

Visit today to compare a wide range of unoccupied property insurance policies from some of the UK’s leading insurance providers.

This should not be construed as advice and is for guidance only.