Compare your unoccupied property insurance

Compare the UK’s leading unoccupied property insurance providers to help you find the best deal.

If your property is vacant for any length of time, you may need to get specific insurance.

Happy customers that trust us

Find Cheap Unoccupied Property Insurance Quotes Online!

Top property insurers
We compare some of the UK’s top unoccupied property insurance providers to help you get great deals.

Quick quotes
We will send you a range of helpful quotes, within minutes and provide you with a simple solution to comparing property insurance.

The right cover for you
Start comparing deals and save money today; no matter what location or size of your property, we can help get you cuuvered today.

Quotes from the top property insurance providers

Frequent Questions

A few things you’d like to clear up first? Maybe you’re not sure why it’s worth comparing your unoccupied property insurance, how long it will take or what cover you need?

Well, then you’re in luck. We’ve written the following answers to questions frequently thought but rarely asked, about finding great deals on your property insurance.

This should not be constructed as advice and is guidance only.

What’s unoccupied property insurance?

Unoccupied property insurance can provide cover for your home if it’s left empty.

A standard home insurance policy will only cover an empty house for a set period, which will be defined in the terms and conditions.

This is typically in the region of 30 days, but some policies will stipulate a shorter period of time, while others will stretch to 45 days or more.

The maximum length of unoccupied cover is usually up to two months, which you will be available through a regular home insurance policy.

Why would my property be unoccupied?

This might not cross your mind when insuring your home, but you may own a home that’s unoccupied, without realising. For example:

  • You’ve inherited the property
  • You own the property as a holiday home
  • The property is on the market but left up for sale after you’ve already moved into your new place
  • You might be having it done up and have moved out while builders or decorators are in
  • You’re going to be away for a while on business, or for an extended holiday

When is unoccupied home insurance useful?

An empty property policy could provide cover for the building and/or contents in properties that are left vacant for 30 days or more.

Typical examples may be when the property is:

  • Awaiting probate
  • Awaiting sale or occupation
  • Undergoing refurbishment or renovation
  • Vacant due to the occupier’s absence, such as when a home owner has a second property and is travelling, has been hospitalised or taken into care

In some cases, your regular home insurer may agree to cover your property while it’s empty. However, the policy may not be comprehensive and is likely to be subject to a lot of exclusions, which could leave you out of pocket if you have to make a claim.

It’s also a good idea to ask a neighbour or friend to keep an eye on your property, if you’re not able to yourself. Even asking your neighbours to pick up your post on a regular basis makes it less obvious to potential thieves that your house is unoccupied.

What will unoccupied house insurance cover?

The level of cover that you will receive, depends on the policy that you take out. Remember to consider both the obvious and unobvious when taking out insurance. You should think about protecting your property against the following:

  • Storm damage
  • Flooding
  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Vandals
  • Squatters

Property owner liability, for example if a tree from your property falls and damages your neighbour’s house