Between 2015 and 2016, there were more than 300 fire-related fatalities in England. Despite having it drilled into us since childhood, fire safety is something which is neglected all too often by homeowners all over the world. Your home insurance may be able to rebuild bricks and mortar, as well are place your worldly possessions, but it cannot replace the life of a loved one.
Helping to safeguard your home, and your family, from a fire isn’t a complicated process – it just requires some precautions and common sense. Today, we at Cuuver are here to furnish you with some of the fundamentals.
- Install smoke alarms
An obvious but necessary point, to begin with, it is essential that you fit your home with a smoke alarm on each floor. It’s also vital to check they are in working order, regularly, to ensure that, if the worst should happen, you’ve taken this important step. Most fires start in the kitchen, so it is crucial to have one in this room above all others.
- Make your furniture fire retardant
There are many companies who can treat your furniture with fire retardant sprays, making it fireproof. While this may add an extra cost, the safety benefits of having this treatment pays dividends. These chemicals are completely safe and also help to make your furniture stain resistant – invaluable if you have young children!
- Cut the clutter
The more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to burn. Fire spreads much quicker when there are more items in its path to take hold of, meaning that it may be time to have a clearing out session in your home. Clothes that no longer fit, old newspapers and magazines you always swear you’d get around to reading are the first things that should be gone.
- Don’t charge your phone overnight
Leaving your mobile phone on charge overnight is a big no-no if you don’t want to risk a house fire. Everyone has been guilty of charging their phone while they sleep, but this poses a threat of fire through overheating. If you’ve got your alarm set to go off at 7.am and your phone is fully-charged by 4am, that’s three more hours of it being on charge, unnecessarily. It’s always best to charge your phone in the hours you are awake; if you must charge your phone overnight, place it on a saucer – the last thing you should do is leave it on an electrical or cloth surface.
- Clean out your tumble dryer’s fluff filter
Never let the fluff and dust accumulate in the filter in your tumble dryer. For the sake of fire safety, many of today’s dryers will not even run if the filter is full, but you should always clean it out before setting the dryer going again. Allowing the dust to build up in your dryer poses a serious fire risk.
- Check your house’s wiring
You should never overload your electrics; whether it is having your hair dryer on too high a setting or plugging one item too many into the wall, electrical short circuits are a major starting point for a great number of house fires. Get a licensed electrician to check the wiring in your home to make sure there is no chance of it sparking or overloading. Check wires coming out of your appliances for being frayed or worn out – if they start getting this way, it’s time to replace the appliance.
This should not be constructed as advice and is guidance only.