Did you know that 80% of fire-related deaths in the UK are caused by house fires? That’s a scary stat, made worse when you really think about just how many potential fire hazards there are in the home.

Here are five of the biggest fire risks you really need to pay attention to in your home, and the steps you can take to prevent a fire from breaking out:

Smoking in bed

There were 80 deaths in the UK in 2014, which were a direct result of smoking and smoking materials. You should never smoke in bed or while tired in general; all it takes is for you to doze off for two minutes for your house to be ablaze.

To avoid this, you should have fire resistant ashtrays in all your rooms, as well as installing smoke detectors which can wake you up instantly if you fall asleep while smoking.

Of course, the best way to avoid this problem is to quit smoking, otherwise, you’ll need a solid life insurance policy.

Fires started while cooking

The biggest cause of house fires, cooking appliances can be deadly. Fortunately, there are plenty of things you can do to avoid a kitchen fire. Firstly, take all pans off the stove if you need to leave the kitchen for any reason.

Secondly, make sure there is a fire extinguisher and/or fire blanket handy in the kitchen in case a fire does break out. Thirdly, leave things out to cool if they have been in the microwave, on the stove or under the grill.

Candles

These days, candles are more of an accessory than a necessity in the home. Most of us just keep them for power cuts, although the scented candle market is still extremely popular, which poses a real fire hazard to many homes.

However, without having to get rid of your scented candles, you can take precautions to prevent a house fire. Place a glass candle sleeve around the candle, which will stop the flame from spreading onto something else. Keep your candles away from curtains and other fabrics and make sure you extinguish them whenever you leave the room.

Electrical equipment

Not only can electrical equipment overheat and catch fire, it’s easy to overload your plug sockets, which can cause a house fire through an overuse of electricity. Extension cords can be a real hazard, so you should be sure not to overload your plug sockets.

You should also be sure to unplug these items once you are finished with them to make sure they don’t overheat.

Children

Curiosity killed the cat. Sadly, children can be a real fire hazard thanks to their curiosity. Playing with matches or flicking lighters can soon get out of hand and cause a major fire, so it’s vital that you keep these items out of reach of little hands.

Of course, no matter how cautious you are, there’s never a guarantee you won’t fall victim to a house fire. That’s why it’s imperative you have a good home insurance policy, to cover you if the worst should happen.

Compare home insurance policies from some of the UK’s leading insurance providers at Cuuver.com, today.